Oh the radish. Beautiful yet extremely underrated pink gems, restricted by their role on veggie trays, and drowned in some mysterious ranch dressing to override their natural bitterness.
Well its time to give this beaut the spotlight it deserves. Radishes actually holds a spectacular crunch as well as a natural kick that make a great addition to salads and sandwiches or anything you could really dream of.
Personally, pickled radishes are my favorite way to bring out all their flavors and personalities. They sit wonderfully in my fridge ready to be used in every which way possible including straight out of the jar and directly into my mouth.
This recipe is not only extremely easy and quick to whip together, but can be a great way to add some healthy zing to your diet. Radishes are packed with anti-inflammatory properties as well as various vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C which can be of great aid in this cold and flu season. Its natural spices also work with your respiratory system to eliminate that oh so annoying build up in your throat and nasal passages. Who knew this party among your taste buds could also double as immune boosting goodness!
Simple Spicy Pickled Radishes
- 1 bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp Morton & Bassett® Pickling Spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Sterilize mason jar and lid by submerging container in boiling water right side up for 15 minutes.
- Remove sterilized jar from water bath and fill with sliced radishes.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and spices in a small sauce pan and bring to boil. Stir to ensure all sugar has dissolved.
- Carefully transfer liquid into the jar over the radishes.
- Seal tightly with the lid and let it cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for storage and before serving.