Because sometimes the soul needs just as much nurturing as your cells.
No nerdy nutrition ramble here. Just a drool worthy pizza topped with all things delicious. Serving size? Well, let’s just say any pizza can be a personal pizza if you believe in yourself.
This past week I indulged in some of my own personal retail therapy at the grocery store (the best kind of retail therapy of course) and stumbled upon a box of beautiful black mission figs so plump and luscious that it would have been a sin to pass up. Seeing as they are a rarity to find recently, I felt they really deserved a recipe that would allow them to flaunt all their greatest assets along side equally fabulous ingredients. That is when the magical marriage between these juicy figs and a eagerly awaiting jar of Confitura’s Sastuma Orange Blossom Jelly hidden in my pantry met eyes- like bounded lovers united after a lifetime of soul searching.
Dramatic? Tis the nature of true food love friends. If you are unfamiliar with Confitura’s and their most lovely and talented founder Stephanie McClenny, let me offer you a brief but much needed info sesh. Confitura’s is a jam company in Austin that offers small batch, locally sourced fruit preserves that rotate with the seasons. Each jar is filled to the rim with not only incredible ingredients but true dedication and passion. I can not speak highly enough of Stephanie and her work. I believe she honesty has touched both our palettes and our hearts with the product she brings as well as the community she creates.
I had such an wonderful time building this recipe. My goal was to let the ingredients speak for themselves without a whole lot of fuss. If you are not located in Austin then feel free to substitute with your favorite orange jam or jelly but just so you know, you can shop all their jams online (not sponsored, just star struck)! Also, if you have the time and patience, feel free to make your pizza dough from scratch which I’m sure could open doors to other contributing flavors and textures.
Have a blast and see you at the next one!
Brussels and Fig Pizza with Orange Blossom Jam
- 1/2 package store bought pizza dough
- 1 cup brussel sprouts, halved
- 1/4 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 black mission figs
- 3 Tbsp Orange Blossom Jam
- 2 Tbsp cotija cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp semolina flour
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Sprinkle semolina flour over cast iron skillet. Roll out the dough and gently push it to the edges of the skillet. If the dough continues to retract, let it rest for 10 minutes before you continue.
- Brush olive oil on the edges of the dough and spread the orange blossom jam in the remaining center area.
- Heat a separate pan over medium heat and toss in halved brussel sprouts with a few tablespoons of water. Cook covered and let steam for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced red onion and continue to steam for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer onions and brussel sprouts to the pizza dough. Top with fig slices and shredded cotija cheese.
- Cook the skillet over medium heat until edges of the crust begin to brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes until dough is cooked through and jam begins to bubble.